THRIFTY FINDS - VINTAGE HERB PLANTER

** EDEA SMITH IS NOW ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE **



When i spotted this presentation Port Box (yep, the alcohol kind) at a local thrift sale i couldn't pass it by, i didn't have a specific purpose for it in mind but as i love to change things around within our home (especially with accessories and small decor) i wasn't about to pass this up and after all, for the grand some of £1 - i would have been silly not too.





The side is printed with Cockburns Port (you can check out there website here - Cockburns Port) and at the end is a rope handle. I'm unsure on the wood make but its cute, rustic and unloved (which makes it look all the better to me) Anyway, this very sad looking little box accompanied me home and sat in our kitchen for a week or so still with no 'purpose' that was until i had a little 'lightening bolt' moment and they idea of turning the box on its side and using it as a planter came to mind, as the box was made of wood and i didn't want it to rot outside (plus due to the detail i didn't want to add varnish/coats etc) i opted for a herb planter. 




The depth of the box/planter was just right to allow still potted herbs - Basil, Chives, Coriander and Mint (which were purchased from our local supermarket for 60p each) four pots fit snugly within the length of the box/planter. I put each individual herb plant (still within its pit) into a small freezer bag and 'lined' the box with a carrier bag, the small freezer bags allow me to water the plants without the water seeping through and rotting the box, the carrier bag liner is for extra protection.




I now i have a cute vintage planter, fresh herbs for the kitchen and it all cost a few pounds to put together - happy me :)

I do LOVE a Thrifty Find




** EDEA SMITH IS NOW ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE - TO JOIN US **

Share this:

CONVERSATION

2 comments:

  1. Have you kept them alive!? I'm such a black thumb- I'd love tips, because if this would survive in my home I would love to make it happen... so gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colleen!
    I must admit, the Coriander is not looking the best now haha.
    They seem to like a warm window ledge, no draft and plenty of water.
    So far ... so good :)

    Thank you and thanks for stopping by :)
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete